Marjane Satrapi
Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum
Monday, December 5, 2011
Journal #8
"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum"  


The quote that best describes my personality is:

"I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am" b
y the French philosopher and writer René Descartes.

My interpretation of this quote is that what defines a human being is their capability to think.
However, we can sometimes lose ourselves in life, but that itself, it's what makes us who we are.
Are capability to think, doubt and relate things a certain way is something unique.
Something we should not see as a weakness, but as an ability to learn from mistakes.
The act of doubting one's existence is proof  of the reality of one's own existence, because doubting does not make you less strong, less intellectual or less of a person.
This quote describes a part of my personality because it is proof of our existence but it also does not prove our existence at all.

The same happens to me.
People try to describe me in various ways however, I believe that by doing so, they are capable to describe me yet at the same time they do not describe me at all. This is also related to stereotypes.

People often make the aberration of trying to categorize everything they can.
I do not believe in this.
I try no to stereotype people for what I see on their outside, not only because I see this as an act of disrespect towards their person, but as a lack of respect towards myself.
0 Comments:

Post a Comment